• Spirit Week 10/22-26

• Football Senior Night 10/19 at 7 at Home

Tennis Teams Prepare for Season

Seventh grader, Carly McNatt, practices skills at tennis practice after school.

Photo by Caroline Dixon

Photo by Caroline Dixon

Charlie George, Sports Editor

While both the boys and girls tennis teams aren’t as publicized as other Holy Trinity sports, their success is nothing short of consistent. With district championships just about every year and several deep playoff runs, including last year’s girls team who made it to the state semifinal, the tennis program has shown their worth over the past several years and looks to repeat these accomplishments this year.

For the boys this year, senior captain Matthew Ryan expects a big season out of every individual and is looking for a very deep run in the state playoffs.

“The boys team has a lot of depth this year and we expect to win at every spot. We hope to win every match and sweep districts. I truly believe that we have a real shot at winning regionals and advancing to the state tournament,” said Ryan.

While this may seem a tall task for the boys, they have many returning upperclassmen and some key additions that could help the team in fulfilling their goals.

“Francisco Aguilo-Seara is new this year and is an absolute beast. He’s our number one and it will be nice having him this year. Also, we have many seniors including myself coming back and Briggsie [Kilbourne] is back from injury this year,” said Ryan.

As for the girls, their expectation is to be back in the same spot as last year and beyond that they want to form a tighter bond by the end of the season.

“Last year was a really great season for us, we made it to states which was amazing and this year we have some really good girls to strengthen our team even more. We are definitely hoping to make it to states this year and to make it farther. Also, we are hoping to grow close as a team,” said junior Karina Popowycz.

The girls also feel like they have improved talent-wise from last year.

“We have two new girls and one who is playing in the top five but having one new girl in the top five is huge because she is number three and the whole team is stronger,” said Popowycz.

Both teams feel that they have improved and obviously have high expectations going into their young seasons.