• FCA in the Tiger Cafe on 1/31

Following Fortnite Fanatics

Following Fortnite Fanatics

Photo by Kayla Burge

Photo by Kayla Burge

Photo by Kayla Burge

Julia McCarthy, Staff Reporter

Video games have been around for as long as we can remember. From X-Box to PlayStation, the gaming platform is growing day by day. Many new games have arisen, including a very popular one, Fortnite.

If you haven’t heard of Fortnite, or seen the many Snapchat stories, it’s basically a survival game. There are two game modes: Save the World and Battle Royale. Save the World is a game mode where the player plays against the computer, compared to Battle Royale mode, which is the player against other gamers on Fortnite.

In Save the World, the player fights off monsters by hunting for resources and defending their bases from attack. But the game went viral when Battle Royale mode was introduced. This mode is where 100 online gamers are thrown onto an island to fight to be the last man standing. Some may compare this to the Hunger Games, as both games involve playing till it’s the last man standing.

It has become a new trend for players to post their scores on social media when they win the game. Snapchat has been overflowing with snaps of TV game screens saying “#1 Victory Royale” and some users are getting tired of it.

“It’s so unnecessary. No one cares,” sophomore Sofia Obermaier said.

On the other hand, many teens feel like Fortnite is a fun competitive game to play against their friends. According to Gamespot.com, Fortnite, played mostly by boys, has roughly 3.4 million concurrent users on the game and has been downloaded over 40 million times.

“It’s a really fun game that never gets old,” sophomore Myles Chapman said. Students spend hours on the game, with matches lasting about 20-25 minutes, depending on who the game is played with.

Many students at Holy Trinity play Fortnite and they don’t plan to stop anytime soon.