• Spirit Week 10/22-26

• Football Senior Night 10/19 at 7 at Home

Students, School Support Parkland

Sophomores+Amelia+Anello+and+Layla+Mathews+tie+their+ribbons+in+support+of+the+Parkland+victims.+
Sophomores Amelia Anello and Layla Mathews tie their ribbons in support of the Parkland victims.

Amelia Anello

Amelia Anello

Charlotte Varnes, Staff Reporter

February 14th, 2018: a day that will forever live on as painful and sorrowful among high school students, Floridians, and all Americans. The Parkland massacre, resulting in the deaths of 17 students and faculty members at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, continues to spark conversation about gun violence and creating a safe environment for high school students.

Yesterday, March 14th, marked the one month anniversary of the massacre. High schools throughout the country helped keep the memory alive by holding walkouts from 10:00-17 AM, with students leaving class for 17 minutes in honor of the 17 victims. Here at Holy Trinity, a prayer litany and lament occurred during chapel in order to remember the event and pray for all involved. Following chapel, break consisted of students making bracelets in MSD’s colors, signing a banner to send to the high school, and a memorial event at the flagpole.

Sophomore Amelia Anello participated in the memorial through making a bracelet and not entering third period until 10:17 in order to honor the victims.

“I think that it’s a good way for students to stand up for what they believe in and their own safety,” Anello said. “It’s also a good way to remember the students who died in Parkland.”

Freshmen Keely Menyhart and Greg Bouyoucas both took part in the events during break.

“There was a banner, and it was very nice because everyone was signing their names and showing support for Parkland,” Bouyoucas said.

“Since the Parkland shooting was so close to home, and I was just down really close to there when it happened, that really made me want to take action in the cause,” Menyhart said.

The tragedy in Parkland has not only proved that such horrible events can happen to students just like us in communities just like ours, but has been a catalyst for students to speak their mind and work for change in various ways. No matter what the future holds, the Parkland massacre is an event all students, Floridians, and Americans, will forever be living in the legacy of.