Getting to Know Chaplain Jared

Mia Boos, Staff Reporter

Just a few weeks ago, Holy Trinity was looking for a new chaplain to work at the school. They wanted someone who was sociable, enthusiastic, and effective to the part, and someone that students can go talk to as a chaplain or as a friend. Above all, they hoped for someone that would be able to relate to the students on a spiritual level and make them want to spend the 15 minutes they have in chapel to worship and grow in their faith. Finding someone with these special qualities may seem difficult, but fortunately Chaplain Jared has it all covered.

Chaplain Jared grew up in Atlanta, Georgia. The last eight years he has lived in Orlando and Winter Park, Florida. He has a wife and two kids: a two-year old girl and a four month old boy. Eventually, he decided to start working at Holy Trinity.

“I attended a private Christian school growing up and I loved it, so I was looking for a position in the Episcopal church. When I found out about HT, I came and met with Dr. Cobb, looked around the school, and ended up falling in love with it,” Chaplain Jared said.

So far, Chaplain Jared claims that he is really enjoying his experience at Holy Trinity.

“I have only been here fifteen days, but I have really enjoyed getting to know the students and hanging out with them. The interactions I have had and the relationships that are forming with the students are my favorite parts about being a chaplain,” Chaplain Jared said.

Chaplain Jared has a whole different life from just being a chaplain. He enjoys playing the guitar and practicing golf. He is also a huge Georgia Bulldogs fan, so you can find him watching all of their games in the fall. Playing video games used to be a hobby of his until he had kids. But now, most of his time is spent playing with his kids and hanging out with his wife anyways. Like most Floridians, he and his family are season pass holders to Disney World, so he frequently goes there as well.  There is, however, one specific profession Chaplain Jared would want to do if he was not working as a chaplain.

“This is not realistic, but I have always thought it would be awesome and probably the most fun job in the world to be a writer for Saturday Night Live or something like that. Something about just being in the writing room and making up jokes has always intrigued me,” Chaplain Jared said.

Going along with his job, he did not always have the desire to be a chaplain. Since late high school, he liked the idea of being a pastor, but probably never imagined being in this spot today. Over the last four or five years, he has been leaning more and more towards a chaplain job.

“I did not necessarily always want to be a chaplain. In my last job, I was a youth pastor and got to work at a church with students. I started to notice it would be a lot cooler if I could be at school with students all day, because students spend 90% of their life here anyways. When students get out of school, they are tired and watch Netflix at home. So, trying to get them back out for church or something would be great. I just always thought it would be cool if I could do something at school with them and interact with them while they were here,” Chaplain Jared said.

Overall, Chaplain Jared has displayed great qualities these past few days and seems to be a fun, motivated chaplain. Holy Trinity has a very diverse group of people with many different beliefs and cultures. He is in charge of blending this understanding with all the other aspects of students lives. He relates the different activities like their classes, sports, clubs, etc. back to the church and their spiritual development. Fortunately, he is capable of doing these things and is beyond excited to get started and get to know all the students this school year.

1 Comment

One Response to “Getting to Know Chaplain Jared”

1. Mrs. Koos on August 26th, 2018 3:19 pm

Welcome to Holy Trinity, Chaplain Jared!

• Getting to Know Chaplain Jared

News

Under the Influence

• Getting to Know Chaplain Jared

News

Journalism Students take on Chicago

• Getting to Know Chaplain Jared

News

Coach Clark Takes on New Position

• Getting to Know Chaplain Jared

News

21st Century Library

• Getting to Know Chaplain Jared

News

Students, School Support Parkland

• Getting to Know Chaplain Jared

News

New Gate Procedure Improves Safety

• Getting to Know Chaplain Jared

News

JUULs: A Dangerous Trend

• Getting to Know Chaplain Jared

News

Up With People

• Getting to Know Chaplain Jared

News

Group Works to Beautify Campus

• Getting to Know Chaplain Jared

News

Student Government Sets Agenda

Getting to Know Chaplain Jared