21st Century Library

Kayla Burge, Photo Editor

The newly renovated library on campus has definitely come a long way. There are two new permanent classroom, less books and bookshelves, charging stations, and new furniture and paint on the walls. The library comes off more clean and sophisticated.

“We went from a 20th century to a 21st century library,” said librarian Arlene Sutherland.

It’s definitely been a focus of the new school year as students depend on going to the library to print, sit during break or in the morning, check out a book, or even go to classes.

“It’s been different everyday. The kids coming in are loving the colors, loving the chairs, loving that we have the charging stations,” said Sutherland.

Now, there are two permanent classrooms in the library for the Spanish, Intro to Law, Principles of Entrepreneurship, and Advanced Placement Capstone programs. The Capstone classroom is new and has a TV instead of a white board, along with the glass walls that will soon be installed.

“The classroom is a great change and once the walls are put up on there, it’ll change even more. The walls will be frosted to give the classroom more privacy,” said Sutherland.

Like the classrooms, the books are another key change of the newly renovated library with noticeably fewer book and book shelves.

“It’s like a scavenger hunt and the students may find many books that they would have never read if they went through the genre system,” said Sutherland.

Having less shelves for books to store, the checking out process for both the student and librarians have been changed and will take time to get used to.

“We started downsizing around March or April and Mrs. Hill found this young man who sells books. He takes a bunch of books and he keeps the money just to cover his expenses. Then, the money he gets, he gives to underprivileged schools in Brevard County through Orange, Volusia, and Indian River County. Its giving back to the community which was nice along with being recycled instead of being thrown away,” said Sutherland.

Issues arose when contemplating which books to donate.

“A lot of the students still want to read books. I don’t mind getting rid of the non-fiction because non-fiction is online although, fiction is not fully online. Most students still want to read hardcover books,” said Sutherland.

For the higher level students, the outlets for research that the school offers, Questia and EBSCOhost, have non-fiction books that can be accessed.

“Also, with non-fiction I’m trying to keep some of the younger students away from some of the things that EBSCO host and Questia school offer because it is too high level for them so, I’m trying to keep the less difficult non-fiction for doing papers,” said Sutherland.