No Pecking Order for Parking

Charlotte Varnes, Online Editor

Recently, the Holy Trinity community has focused much of their attention on the parking lot. Although most of this discussion has been regarding the new routes in and out of school, many students haven’t just been talking about driving in and out, but parking.

While many think that seniors will always receive the best spots in the front parking lot and juniors will always receive paved spots, this has been disproved by this year’s parking assignments. The grass lot, typically filled throughout the year by new sophomore drivers, is nearly completely filled by juniors at the moment. Many sophomores, the majority of which do not begin driving until second semester, received paved spots, leaving juniors with grass spots confused as to why they were not given priority. In addition, due to overflow, a few seniors received parking spots in the back lot rather than the front. Parking in the front lot is a senior privilege many look forward to, and those with parking spots in the back are stuck with a longer walk to and from school.

Dean Steve Henderson is in charge of parking registration, which has been done through the same system online for the past two years.

“So everybody’s parking is first come, first serve based on when they fill out the paperwork,” Henderson said. “When it’s done online, a certain number of spots are set aside for seniors and then everybody else, based on when they fill out the paperwork, it puts them in order from the concrete spots that are left to overflow into the grass lot.”

Henderson acknowledged that when the system moved online, more students have rushed to fill out the paperwork at the end of the school year, often leading to all of the paved spots being taken by June. The combination of the first come first serve system and the high demand for parking ultimately causes overflow into the grass lot for juniors and sophomores, and into the back lot for seniors.

Although it seems unusual that seniors were given spots in the back parking area, this problem has been a frequent occurrence in recent years.

“Because of the number of faculty spots, we had to move the seniors a little bit further back,” Henderson said. “It’s been doing this for the past two years.”

The construction for the fly-over has also played a role in changing Holy Trinity’s parking, ultimately leading to less paved spots for both students and faculty.

“The new construction took about 12 spots from our lot, with just the road coming through,” Henderson said. “Most of those were faculty and staff, but it has changed the configuration of the way we come in.”

Additionally, this year, three paved spots had to be taken in order to make it easier for lower, smaller cars to enter the grass lot. A frequent subject among students and administration over the years has been paving the grass lot, which would seemingly eliminate all of the issues that come with parking there, such as mud, rainwater, and difficulty to enter.

“Paving the grass is one of the things we would love to have done,” Henderson said. “Obviously, with the construction going on and the reconfiguration of the school, to pave it right now, there’s a chance that it would be ripped up, so we don’t want to spend the money to pave a parking lot that may not be able to be a front parking lot soon. In the plans moving forward, is to have another concrete lot, not so much the grass lot, but once this intersection comes in, the grass lot, a lot of that will be taken away because that will be our new intersection coming and leaving from the school.”

Although some students may be unhappy about parking, there are several justifiable reasons and explanations for the how and why of distributing spots. Students’ parking spots are an important part of their daily lives at school, and it’s best just to adjust and accept this year’s assigned parking spot. And for sophomores and juniors, there’s always next year.