A Summer Spent Strengthening

Members+of+the+cross+country+team+spent+a+week+running+the+hills+in+North+Carolina.+
Members of the cross country team spent a week running the hills in North Carolina.

Angelina Berthiaume, Staff Reporter

Holy Trinity has a reputation for students who put their all into whatever sports or academics they’re involved in. This summer was no different. From racing through mountain tops, to competing against nationally ranked students, to training hard on the volleyball court, many of Holy Trinity’s devoted students spent parts of their summer preparing for the year to come.

In a city reminiscent of home, seven students spent a week at Miami University of Ohio for National Latin Forum. At the forum, students took tests and met other participants from all over the country who are also a part of their school’s Latin programs.

Junior Charlotte Varnes has attended the forum for two years and is now a state officer, which means she has various responsibilities to help with the program.

“This year I am on the Florida Junior Classical League state board which means I got to help lead the nightly officer meetings and help set up the daily spirit assembly,” said Varnes.

Esha Patel, a junior and state officer as well looks forward to meeting new people that share the same hobbies as her.

“It’s really cool to meet people that have the same interests as you even though they live hundreds or thousands of miles away and to see how many people enjoy the same subjects as you do,”  said Patel.

A few states south of Ohio, the cross country team was high up in the North Carolina mountains, where they spent the week training for the upcoming season.

Freshman Julia McNatt felt that going to camp gave her confidence heading into the new season.

“I really started to get up my endurance, which made feel like I was improving and made me want to push myself more,” said McNatt.

Aside from training daily on steep mountains, the team had plenty of bonding experiences, ranging from treacherous hikes to intense foosball tournaments.

“I felt a lot closer to the team afterwards. It was a really fun experience to just be able hang out with them and I definitely hope we do it again,” said McNatt.

Closer to home, another team was preparing for their new season but this time on the volleyball court. The varsity team , along with a few returning JV players, spent a weekend at the University of Tampa where they practiced drills set up by the college’s coaches and scrimmaged with players on other Florida teams.

As her first year attending, junior Carmen Zipf felt that the university’s camp brought the team closer together.

“We really had a chance to bond, which is allowing us to go into the season as a unified team, rather than just separate players” said Zipf.

Attending a camp as a team is a long standing varsity tradition that the team is planning on continuing.

“Camp is an important part of varsity because it warms us all up for the season so we can start our practices knowing what we’re doing,” said Zipf.

With the summer coming to a close, Holy Trinity’s students are starting the year of more prepared than ever for the year to come.