Advanced Acting Works Ahead on One Acts

Students Chelsea Terry and Logan Mays rehearse for the fall show, guided  by drama teacher Ms. Meyer.

Students Chelsea Terry and Logan Mays rehearse for the fall show, guided by drama teacher Ms. Meyer.

Nina Cinca

Nina Cinca

Charlotte Varnes, Online Editor

Just a little over a month into school, the Advanced Acting class is eagerly preparing for this year’s fall semester show, which will be performed at Holy Trinity and the District 11 Thespians One Acts Festival in December. The show, titled Vintage Hitchcock, features three of Alfred Hitchcock’s earliest movies turned into a 1940s British radio show. The play will be performed by the actors standing at microphones in the “radio station”, which will be built onstage, with all of the sound effects being created by various props in a style called foley sound technique. It also differs from the fall shows in recent years, which have been one act plays, as it is a full-length, three act performance.

Auditions were held in class at the end of August, with nearly every student auditioning for an onstage role. In-class blocking began September 18th, and after-school rehearsals will start in October.

As the class begins working on the show,  Ms. Meyer is already anticipating introducing students to an entirely new type of theater.

“I thought it would be super cool to do something we haven’t done for, as far as a form of theater that isn’t represented in a lot of high school theater,” Meyer said. “Radio plays don’t really happen today, but we’re doing what is called foley sound with it, which is where the actors will actually make the sound effects onstage instead of just from a sound booth. I think that presents a whole, cool, new aspect of theater that our students aren’t familiar with.”

Not only is Ms. Meyer looking forward to the road ahead, but the students are as well. Senior Ashleigh Kutryb is playing two characters, Pamela and the Shopkeeper, and is also troupe president of Holy Trinity’s Thespian Honor Society.

“I’m looking forward to the general organization of the play,” Kutryb said. “It’s a different type- it’s a live radio show, which means it’s gonna be different from all the past shows that we’ve done in that there’s no moving around and you really have to use your voice and the dynamic of it.”

Junior Chelsea Terry is playing Ellen Bunting and all of the patrons in the show.

“I’m looking forward to getting to try out a new style of show compared to what we have done in the past and work on authentic accents for this specific time period,” Terry said.

Sophomore Wilson Hattaway is playing the Announcer, Hollingshead, and Verloc.

“I don’t really enjoy the shows so much as the making of them. It’s kind of the process that’s the most fun,” Hattaway said.

In addition to the actors, the show features foley sound artists, who will create the sound effects during performances with various props and tools. Sophomore Keely Menyhart is both acting and helping out as a foley artist.

“I’ve seen a few radio shows before, and I’ve always loved watching the foley artists,” Menyhart said. “They create some of the most suspenseful parts of the show, so now to be able to do that myself is really interesting and pretty cool.”

Meyer also has her own hopes as rehearsals begin.

“I’m looking forward to the challenge of helping students learn to be vocally dynamic, without the use of costumes and props and movement, really just having to lean on their voice to build characterization,” Meyer said.

December may seem far away, but Advanced Acting students are already excited for the challenge of One Acts and performing at school. With rehearsals and blocking on the way, the class is off to a great start.