• Schoolwide SGA Election 4/24

• No School 4/19

Stuck on Repeat

Stuck on Repeat

Student Julia McCarthy curates her Spotify playlists based on the month.

Angelina Berthiaume, Staff Reporter

Artists and genres aren’t the only factors that come into play when considering someone’s taste in music. Apart from the type of music, the way people organize their songs into playlists also make their relationship with music unique.

For a lot of people, listening to the same songs over and over can get boring and repetitive. Junior Julia McCarthy avoids getting tired of the same songs by making monthly playlists, something she’s been doing for over a year.

“I find that I can’t really listen to the same music all the time, so I make new playlists to find new artists based on other music I listen to,” McCarthy said.

On the other end of the spectrum, another approach to playlist making is having one playlist to continually build on. Junior Layla Mathews finds this method works the best for her.

“I base my playlists based off of the artists I’ve been liking for the past couple of months and I go through all of their songs and add them to one big playlist that gradually gets bigger and bigger,” Mathews said.

Spotify, one of the most used music platforms, plays a big role in helping people find new music to listen to.

“To find new artists, I usually go on the playlists Spotify makes based off of songs that are similar to what I already listen to,” McCarthy said. “From there, I usually find one song I like and then start looking at the other music that artist makes.”

Apple Music, Spotify’s main competitor, may not have the same personal touch features that are found on other platforms but is still able to seamlessly stream any music.

“I like Apple Music more than Spotify because I can add the music that I download to the music I already have,” junior Amelia Anello said. “It’s really nice to have all my music in one place so I don’t have to worry about not being able to find a song.”

Music, no matter the platform or the type of playlist, is still music. As long as whatever you’re listening to helps you stay on track studying, keeps you motivated during a hard workout, or makes a car ride with friends more fun than it already was, the way you decide to keep those songs in order will work best depending on what works for you.