Reaching New Heights

Jacob Coggshall, Staff Reporter

Holy Trinity senior Trip Rachels has high flying dreams for his life. He has been flying planes for many years. He genuinely loves flying and the feeling he gets while in the sky. Rachels loves flying so much he wants to do it for the rest of his life. It is his goal to become a pilot and fly all the time.

“When I started to fly, I had a lot of fun doing it so I put in the hard work and got my pilot’s’ license,” said Rachels.

It took Rachels about a year and a half to acquire his license. When working towards his license he flew every weekend. Rachels now flies around two to three times a month for fun and to hone his skills.

“The best part of flying is just being out there, feeling free in the air,” said Rachels.

Rachel’s grandpa, Uncle, and Dad all got him into flying. His Uncle and Dad are both pilots for Southwest Airlines and his grandpa was a pilot for the Navy in WWII. He knew he wanted to become a pilot around the age of ten and received his pilot’s license before his driver’s license.

“My advice for anyone getting their pilots license is to really focus on it. So do it in the summer so you have no other commitments,” said Rachels.

Currently, Rachels flies a single engine propeller plane most of the time. He also flies out of Vero Beach. On occasion, Rachels will go out with an instructor and learn new skills such as flying a Biplane.

“It’s really fun and interesting to learn how to fly acrobatically in a Biplane. I’ve done it about four or five times with an instructor now,” said Rachels.

Rachels has a real talent for flying and will continue pursuing the activity for fun and as a career.  So don’t be surprised if you are being flown around by him one day.