Halloween Horror Nights Spooks Students

Many+students+attend+Halloween+Horror+Nights+to+get+int+he+fall+spirit+each+year.+
Many students attend Halloween Horror Nights to get int he fall spirit each year.

Charlotte Varnes

Charlotte Varnes

Angelina Berthiaume, Staff Reporter

As Floridians, many fall cliches are made impossible by the never-ending humidity. While other states flaunt their fall sweaters and radiant autumn leaves, down in Florida we cling to our state’s second greatest attraction: theme parks. Halloween Horror Nights takes place at Universal Studios and includes access to the park’s rides as well as nine horror houses. This year’s theme was Stranger Things, which gave the park a throwback feel with haunted 80s icons popping up in scare zones, and iconic throwbacks like ‘Girls Just Wanna Have Fun’ playing over the loudspeaker.

While most would expect to relax walking from house to house, the park’s scare zones keep everyone on edge. Inside of a scare zone, all bets are off. Waiting in those areas can be anything ranging from clowns with chainsaws to creepy barnyard scarecrows. Although walking through a zone definitely sparks your heart rate, chances are the people around you feel the same way.

“My favorite part of the scare zones are watching other people’s reactions,” junior Aida McClatchey said.

Named after the night’s theme, the Stranger Things house was definitely the night’s main attraction. This house definitely lived up to its expectation. Although it wasn’t the scariest, going through this house felt like taking a walk through Hawkins, Indiana. This house did an excellent job of recreating every iconic scene in the series, taking you through Will’s house, Hawkin’s Middle School, and even the Inbetween. With 80s music off of the Stranger Things soundtrack playing throughout the house, this one was perfect for those who could appreciate the spot-on references to the show.

Even if walking through a house doesn’t immediately take you to a scene from your favorite horror movie, the crews’ ability to immerse you in the experience will still leave you scared. The house Dead Expose: Patient Zero was centered on a zombie plague, and was filled with jump scares from decaying zombies to the sights and smells you would expect to find in a zombie apocalypse.

“Patient Zero was my favorite house because the lights and visuals made everything seem super realistic,” junior Julia McCarthy said.

Like any other night, the most important part is to bring along your closest friends, or at least anyone willing to scream alongside you for the night.

“I think it’s really good to go with a big group because you can all be scared together,” McCarthy said. “It’s more fun when you have more people to hold on to in the houses”.

Like any fall memory, Halloween Horror Nights is sure to give you a night you will never forget.