• Last Day of School May 23

• Senior Stroll May 10

• AP Exams begin May 6

Social-cultural Influences

Celebrities+like+Taylor+Swift+advertise+a+wide+range+of+products.+

Social-cultural Influences

Celebrities like Taylor Swift advertise a wide range of products.

Provided by https---cdn.socialbakers.com-www-storage-www-articles-content-2018-06-1529586862-screen-10

Emily Morales, Staff Reporter

Every day, everyone has many decisions they have to make. Some are small, like what to wear or what to eat for breakfast. While some decisions are larger, like deciding which college to attend, all the decisions we make have long and short-term effects on our lives.

The cliche expression ‘you are who you hang out with’ might apply to more than just friends. This type of influence might even extend to celebrities to a certain extent. This doesn’t mean that someone who likes one of the Kardashians’ Instagram posts will suddenly feel the need to go out and buy Kylie Jenner’s lip kits. However, there is something about seeing someone you have a high opinion of advertising a certain product that might push someone towards a more popular brand.

Social media has created an entirely new way of marketing items. One way that social media promotes advertising is by paying celebrities and other social media influencers to advertise products and companies. Celebrities can be paid a surprising amount of money purely by posting an Instagram story or post advertising a specific product.

Beyonce made an estimated 50 million dollars for advertising Pepsi in 2012. Some celebrities have created empires on social media. Others prefer to use social media sites as a way to connect with fans and give them a closer look into their day-to-day lives. Either way, whatever celebrities are posting and sharing on social media is influencing fans and impacting their decisions or opinions. Some celebrities even use their status to support charities and political campaigns or ideologies.

Social media allows celebrities to share anything they want with the world. This leaves one question: is this a negative? While there might not be a definite answer, it is important to realize that celebrities will continue to post. They will continue to post updates on their personal lives and careers, actual opinions, and about products they have been paid to endorse.

Finding your own voice in a sea of different viewpoints might be hard, and it might take a while, but when you do, it is important to hold on to it. There is no harm in agreeing with celebrities’ opinions or ideals, as long as you actually agree and are not only agreeing because of the celebrities’ status. The main thing to keep in mind is to not let people that are idolized create opinions for you.