Reaching One Thousand

Reaching One Thousand

Senior Dru Nickson just reached 1,000 points in his career at Holy Trinity.

Layla Mathews

Layla Mathews

Layla Mathews

Brock Moser, Staff Reporter

Senior Dru Nickson is in his final year of basketball at Holy Trinity and puts on a show during each and every basketball game he plays. He’s just reached one thousand points in his high school career.

“I’ve worked very hard to get to this goal,” said Nickson. “I’ve put in an uncountable amount of hours in the gym.”

Ever since Nickson joined the varsity team the goal of reaching one thousand points has been on his mind.

“When I first joined the team, I was motivated to do my best and achieve any goals like this one,” Nickson said.

When he first joined the basketball team, there were a lot of great HT basketball alumni to look up to like Tyler Forde, Cory Kaplan, and Rey Idowu.

Throughout his high school career, Nickson’s teammates have been a major contributing factor in the process of achieving his lofty goal.

“My teammates have helped me a lot, they have pushed me to be a better player everyday,” said Nickson. This season he plays alongside seniors Tyrel Harris, Preston Milo, and Seth Coleman.

This kind of achievement doesn’t come easy though. It comes with hardships, sacrifices, and tough times.

“The hardest thing to overcome has been the minor injuries that I’ve had from playing sports year round,” Nickson said.

He is also a captain and the quarterback of the football team. Through the rough times of stress on his body and having full schedules of sports and academics, Nickson has stayed focused and disciplined.

He has excelled in all aspects of his high school career. With the basketball season still on-going, Nickson has reached the incredible milestone of scoring one thousand points in his varsity basketball career. Nickson has also accepted a basketball scholarship from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Daytona Beach.