• Schoolwide SGA Election 4/24

• No School 4/19

Heisman Winner Charlie Ward Chats About His Success

Sports Editor Julia McCarthy with 1993 Heisman Trophy winner Charlie Ward.

Provided by Julia McCarthy

Provided by Julia McCarthy

Provided by Julia McCarthy

Julia McCarthy, Sports Editor

Charlie Ward, the 1993 Heisman Trophy winner, made a visit to the Suntree Country Club this past Thursday to speak about his experience as a high school coach, his success at Florida State, and thoughts on the upcoming football season.

Before his success, Ward grew up a Seminole fan. He lived 45 minutes from the school and games were always on their family TV, so choosing to attend FSU was not a difficult decision to make. A strong influence in helping to make that decision was FSU’s head coach Bobby Bowden. Ward valued Bowden’s integrity and allowance for both him and teammate Brad Johnson to be multi-sport athletes playing both basketball and football. Ward was extremely dedicated to these sports and had the dream to pursue both in college.

“I see [Coach Bowden] periodically, we’re both in Tallahassee now so I see him in town,” Ward said.

Winning the Heisman Trophy shines a lot of light on a student-athlete and offers many opportunities. Ward made a big impact on the FSU community as he is the first Heisman winner to come out of Doak Campbell Stadium.

“It gave me more exposure to the world as opposed to my small niche,” Ward said. “Being a Heisman Trophy winner, you have an opportunity to go out and do more things, have a bigger platform, and I’m grateful that God has opened that door for me to have a bigger platform.”

Along with leading the Seminoles to the school’s first national championship title and winning the Heisman, Ward was a first-round pick in the 1994 NBA Draft. Knowing that he was not the ideal size for an NFL quarterback and could risk not being picked early in the NFL Draft, Ward decided to focus on his professional career in basketball. Drafted to the New York Knicks, Ward played in New York for nine years and ended his NBA career playing for a short time with the San Antonio Spurs and Houston Rockets.

When he retired from the NBA, Ward didn’t know exactly what he wanted to do. He was given the opportunity from Houston Rockets head coach, Jeff Van Gundy, to do an internship as a coach. This is when Ward realized he wanted to start coaching. After two years, he came to the decision to no longer coach in the NBA so that he was able to spend more time with his family and have a more flexible schedule.

Ward began his high school coaching career coaching football at a Christian school in Houston.  Coaching at Westbury Christian was just the start, as Ward has now been coaching high school sports for ten years. His current position is in Tallahassee at Florida High, FSU’s Developmental Research School, as head coach.

“We’re able to help our kids understand how to navigate through the tough decisions in life and life consequences. Just to be able to help them through those from my experience is great, it’s definitely rewarding,” Ward said. “You get an opportunity to mold young men, someone did it for me and I’m grateful for that.”

Also at the event was Ward’s teammate and Super Bowl XXIX champion, William Floyd. Floyd was drafted to the San Francisco 49ers in the 1994 NFL Draft and played in the league for six years. He was also the first rookie in NFL history to score three touchdowns in a playoff game.

Currently, Floyd is a color analyst on the Seminole ISP Sports Network along with Gene Deckerhoff, who is known as “the voice of the Seminoles.”

“It took me about two and a half years to get comfortable in the booth, but Gene Deckerhoff was a big part in helping me become comfortable up there,” Floyd said. “You just have to learn the college game and be a little bit more proactive in getting information.”

Floyd also offered some advice for high school athletes looking to make it at the next level.

“Make sure you have your work. You can’t play college ball if you don’t have your grades or tests up, so make sure you just focus in on that,” Floyd said. “Just stay out of trouble, make sure you have a lot of fun.”

With the opportunities Ward has been given through everything he has accomplished in his career, you can expect his success to not stop anytime soon.

1 Comment

One Response to “Heisman Winner Charlie Ward Chats About His Success”

1. Jack Gaffney on April 14th, 2019 5:57 pm

I had no clue about either of these guys and this article was informative and intriguing.

• Heisman Winner Charlie Ward Chats About His Success

Campus Life

Getting to know Deputy Mark Spencer

Arts and Entertainment

The Reality of a Rock Star Lifestyle

Campus Life

Meet Melina

News

Heart Screenings at HT

Campus Life

On a Mission

• Sports

The Benefits of a Loss

Campus Life

AV Club Transforms Tech at HT

Campus Life

Girls Lacrosse Seniors Reflect, Ready for Season

Arts and Entertainment

Ariana Grande Delivers With Thank U, Next

News

Mrs. Tricano Finds a New Start