• Last Day of School May 23

• Senior Stroll May 10

• AP Exams begin May 6

Concerning Coaches

Concerning Coaches

Coaches can often affect players' view of the sport.

Claire Jackering

Claire Jackering

Claire Jackering

Claire Jackering, Staff Reporter

No matter the sport, every team has a coach that is supposed to teach and lead them throughout their season. But what happens when the coach doesn’t keep a good attitude and consistently puts their team in a bad mood at some point during every game or practice?

Even before the game starts, what the team witnesses during warmups impacts what happens for the rest of the night. For instance, suppose the head coach is making a scene in front of the players during warmups. It is then very likely for the players to be negatively influenced and their attitude on the field for the upcoming game may not be as positive.

On the field, there’s already enough stress on the players to execute plays and to not make any errors. So if the coach puts even more stress on their players by, for example, by very frequently yelling at them in between each play and criticizing everything they do and never congratulating them when they succeed, how are the players supposed to feel?

One of the most common instances where players are affected by their coach’s behavior is immediately after a player makes an error. In this case, after a player makes an error or misses a shot, they immediately feel a gut-wrenching feeling of terror. They feel this because they know their coach will have something to scold or yell at them about in front of every other person nearby. At the varsity level, most players already know what they did wrong right after they make a mistake. Therefore, the fact that the coach needs to embarrass the player in front of their teammates, the opposing team, and everyone in the stands is completely unnecessary.

With many sports being more mental than physical, what an athlete is thinking about while on the field impacts their play and attitude. If all the player is thinking about in between plays is “what will coach do if I miss,” “what will coach say if I don’t do it perfectly,” or “will coach take me out if I mess up,” how are they expected to execute all the plays perfectly while thinking about something that is unrelated to making the play? The impact a coach can have on what the athlete is thinking about because of what they have experienced before should not be occurring to an athlete or an entire team.

Whether it be an entire team or a single player, the impact of their coach should never actually change their way of playing for the worse. A coach is supposed to be a role model to his/her team and not bring them down.