FHSAA Reclassification Impacts Nearly All Holy Trinity Teams

The+Holy+Trinity+girls%27+cross+country+team+won+the+District+title+in+2017.+However%2C+the+team+will+face+stiffer+competition+this+year+due+to+being+relocated+to+1A-D4+with+many+of+1A%27s+top+teams+due+to+FHSAA%27s+new+guidelines.+

The Holy Trinity girls' cross country team won the District title in 2017. However, the team will face stiffer competition this year due to being relocated to 1A-D4 with many of 1A's top teams due to FHSAA's new guidelines.

Provided by Charlotte Varnes

Provided by Charlotte Varnes

Provided by Charlotte Varnes

Claire Jackering, Sports Editor

Rivalries, championships, schedules, and road trips. These key elements have been changed due to the redistricting of sports teams over the summer. This past offseason, the FHSAA (Florida High School Athletic Association) reclassified the divisions for all high school sports. Almost every team at HT has been impacted by this change in some way, whether it be good or bad for the players.

“The majority of teams had some type of change. Football was the only one that did not change from last year. But every other sport had some sort of modification to their district, some small, some big,” Athletic Director James Phillips said.

Now, the district for each team is calculated by enrollment then location in comparison to all the other schools.  

“Instead of having smaller districts, some grew and there were some schools in the wrong districts or classification for the size of their school. So they made it a bit more unified where you couldn’t move,” Phillips said. 

Before this year, many HT teams played in divisions higher than the enrollment allowed for, meaning they were playing teams that, statistically, were at too high of a level. According to FHSAA, the enrollment for HT is 384 students for the high school. With the enrollment being so small, most of the teams have been moved down multiple divisions.

“[FHSAA] came up with this proposal because if you were a weaker team in your classification, you were stuck playing in a district where you had to play your district competition twice a season and your schedule is pretty much full of teams who you would lose to. They moved it to where you can make your own schedule at your own strengths,” Phillips said.

Previously, every team was required to play their district competition at least twice during the regular season. With the new change, there is no requirement for teams to face teams in the district; they only need to play each other in the regional playoffs. These new requirements have positive and negative effects on the teams. Many teams at HT had previously struggled with this situation before this year. Now with evenly balanced schedules, HT teams will have more opportunities for success throughout the season.

“From the school’s point of view, most of the new system means that the district competition doesn’t play us. When we were in a district with teams in the Cape Coast Conference, the other teams had to play us. Now, these teams have the option to not play against us,” Phillips said.

Because the local public school teams have chosen to not play HT, it is harder to find enough local competition due to lack of interest. Therefore, HT teams will have to travel further and more often in order to play. 

Along with longer travel times comes with later arrivals back home. As a result, HT’s hard-working student-athletes will have to stay up later after away games in order to get their work done every night. At a school where academics come first, this is one of the most major impacts of the reclassification.

Overall, HT sports teams should have better success looking into the postseason. Since almost every team has changed divisions, here are the new classifications: