Volleyball Looks to New Season

Emerson Euziere, Staff Reporter

As the girls varsity volleyball team prepares for the upcoming season they have high hopes of a successful year. With scares that the season might not happen the team still trained hard for the up and coming season. 

Sophomore Kareena Matthews is a first year member of the varsity volleyball team and is excited to play with her new teammates despite the new guidelines.

“What I look forward most to this season is hanging out with everybody on the team and seeing how things are with all the new COVID rules,” said Matthews.

After practicing all summer long the volleyball team has improved and having such a young team, they had to adapt.

“We lost a lot of seniors and having a young team is one of the biggest changes this year,” said senior Mackenzie Sands.

Even with such a good young team, they feel like they still have a lot to work on. 

“Right now we are working on defense and we still have a lot to work on,” said Matthews.

Fresh off of last year’s district successes, the team hopes for another and even more wins during the postseason.

“I look forward to districts. I think that it’s going to be really fun this year,” said Sands. 

The team has confidence that they match up pretty well with the teams they play this season including more of their difficult opponents such as Viera and Merritt Island. 

“One of our biggest challenges this year is working and developing as a team,” said Sands.

With a majority of the team being younger players, there are still many veteran players who are looking to lead the team to many victories.

The girls varsity volleyball season is going to be one to look forward to and watch with a solid team and players who are eager to get on the court and play.