Life on the Farm

Quarter horses Peg and Mia run freely on the Royston family farm.

Robert Varnes, Staff Reporter

Junior Cody Royston’s school day is just like that of any typical high school student at Holy Trinity, but with a slight twist. He wakes up, eats breakfast, brushes his teeth and heads to school. Once done with school, he goes to golf practice and then drives 30 minutes back to his house, located on his family’s farm. 

No, it’s not a farm with chickens, cows, or pigs, but instead Royston has two quarter horses, Peg and Mia. As many know, it’s hard to choose a favorite between your pets. According to Royston,  not much changes when it comes to his horses. “I don’t particularly have a favorite, but if I had to choose, it would probably be Peg because she can be ridden more easily because she has gotten training.” 

As much as Royston loves his horses, his favorite part of living on the farm is a bit different from climbing onto the saddle and taking a ride. While the average teenager finds the word chores revolting, he finds the task quite satisfying. “I’d say my favorite part of living on the farm is the chores. I know it sounds weird, but the feeling of starting something and seeing it through is kind of addicting for me,” said Royston. Although the majority of students may despise chores, many can agree that having that sense of accomplishment is a feeling unmatched. 

With every new chore thrown his way, Royston considers it an opportunity to have a great day. “The other day, my dad and I cut down a huge pine tree in our front yard. When the tree was cut down and the debris was hauled out, the yard looked so much nicer,” said Royston. “It’s not that I don’t have a favorite chore, but it’s more of the satisfaction of completing them. Although, being a lumberjack is always fun.” It’s safe to say that every day is a new adventure when you’re living life on the farm.