Girls lacrosse success impacted by COVID

The girls lacrosse season came to an end in the district semi-final after impact of COVID.

Soleil Edwards, Staff Reporter

The girls lacrosse season came to an end with a tough defeat in the district semi-final game. With most of the team consisting of younger girls, this was a huge achievement. For four of the girls — Blair Agee, Ryan Bain-Darby, Alex Davenport, and Hope Valenti — this was their last game as high school students.

COVID impacted the way the team got to practice and continue to grow. Goalie Bella Muniz says, “Covid affected the season quite a bit, especially in the sense where we only played about six games.” 

The final week of lacrosse was the most difficult. The week before the district semi-final game, the team got quarantined and was unable to practice.“A lot of our players were still quarantined during the district semi-finalist game so we were missing a couple starters,” said Muniz. With this strain on the team, the girls still played an impressive last game. 

One of the main focuses for the team this year was getting the basic stick skills down. Fundamentals play a major role in games. Cassandra Farnham says, “The greatest improvement this year was improving on ground balls which played out well in how we played in games.”

Looking into next season, the team is looking forward to refining the skills that they worked on this year and building upon them. “We are also looking forward to more fun Friday practices where we all just have a good time with shooting competitions and such,” says Farnham.