Club focuses on mental health awareness

Molly Mullen

Club sponsor Kari Ramos plans for the first Mental Health Awareness club meeting of the year.

Molly Mullen, Staff Reporter

With the new school year starting again, so are some of Holy Trinity’s clubs. The Mental Health Awareness Club was created last year by a group of students with the goal of making everyone’s minds much healthier. Kari Ramos is a counselor, student advisor and the sponsor of the Mental Health Awareness club at Holy Trinity and puts a lot of emphasis on the mental health of students.  

“The objective of the club is to raise awareness of mental health needs in our school community and to reduce the stigma of mental health disorders. The club will be a safe space for students to discuss the mental health needs of HT students and how we as a community can help support one another,” said Ramos.

Mental health and disorders have had a taboo reputation for years, but now people are trying to talk about it more. Yes, mental health awareness has been around for years, but it’s still a new thing for this topic to be brought up more frequently and to take priority over other tasks. 

“The goal of the club is educating the community about the importance of mental health to raise awareness and to promote empathy. We also work on projects throughout the year to encourage one another and to provide support,” said Ramos.

People tend to take care of themselves physically, like if they’re sick or injured, but not many people take care of themselves when they’re mentally not ok. It can be difficult for people to reach out for help, but doing so can save a life. 

A good and healthy mind can be difficult for high schoolers to achieve due to things like college applications, peer pressure, and just the overall stress of highschool. Additionally, Coronavirus has added some new struggles for teens. 

“In my experience, the pandemic has amplified any pre-existing mental health struggles. The uncertainty, fear, isolation, and grief has taken a toll on everyone; especially those who previously struggled with some level of anxiety and/or depression. Not to mention other related mental health disorders – it is a secondary epidemic if you ask me,” said Ramos.

“It is also frustrating because, at times, we have not been able to rely on the coping skills that have worked for us in the past due to social distancing or other restrictions associated with health and safety. There is good that has come from it, however, in that I have watched the stigma of mental health lessening over the course of the pandemic. I am thankful for that,” said Ramos.

Even though Coronavirus has made detrimental changes to the world and a lot of negatives have come from it, some positives have come from it as well, such as the way people have become more empathetic towards one another. Society is starting to take care of each other more and checking in on people, whether it’s for mental reasons or for physical health reasons. The most important thing to remember is that mental health is still health, and that people need to reach out for help when it’s needed.