Rules Rule

Dr.+Cobb+and+students+signed+and+implemented+Holy+Trinity%27s+first+Constitution.+
Dr. Cobb and students signed and implemented Holy Trinity's first Constitution.

Reneé Smith

Reneé Smith

Blake Menyhart, Staff Reporter

Holy Trinity’s first student government constitution was signed on November 3, 2017, by the class presidents and other contributors. This was made to be a big deal and proudly announced to the student population, however, what does it really mean for Holy Trinity?

“The Constitution is basically rules for the student government and what role it plays in the school itself,” said co-president Ashvi Luthra.

The goal of this constitution is to establish a set of rules so there will be no further confusion or sudden adjustments that may confuse members of student government in the future. An example of such confusion may be last year, when Zach Mcmanus and Sajan Guta wanted to submit an extra campaign video, however the apparent rules of the year prohibited this without their knowledge, so they couldn’t make a video in time. Now there are rules set in stone such as, all candidates must be notified two weeks prior to the due date if and when they have a video.

“It also says if they want an additional video, they have to create and edit it on their own time,“ said Luthra.

The constitution tackles many other issues such as impeachment and the ability for candidates to challenge an illegitimate election. The newly created SGA (Student Government Association) board, made up of faculty advisor Mrs. Dykes, President Dr. Cobb and head of the upper school Mrs. G,  reviews impeachment, requiring two thirds vote to remove someone from their position.

“We realized that there were no official rules in place. A  faculty advisor could say something and that would be it, even if it was different the year before, then the next year contradict what they said. It was basically to ensure for years to come we have a set way of doing things,” said Luthra.

See the House Guidelines here