Their Fault or Nah?

Anthony Mottarella

Anthony Mottarella

Ellie Grecul, Opinion Editor

We’ve all known that one kid who is late to first period at least once a week. For those of us with cars, there are plenty of reasons for this; we sleep in too late, we lose our keys, we forget our backpacks at home and have to go back, we have to make that Starbucks run or we’ll collapse before third period, senioritis is setting in. The chronic tardiness is probably our fault; we deserve the detentions that result.

Student drivers aren’t the only ones getting detentions for chronic tardiness. They are, however, the ones more deserving over non-student drivers.

For the kids who have no cars, the frequent rushed mornings aren’t necessarily their faults. How can they be responsible for their student driver sisters taking random extra time to do their hair in the mornings, or the parents who have absolutely no time management skills and live 40 minutes away to top it all off? Maybe if it was up to them, they’d never be late. Maybe they’re ready to go tens of minutes before whoever is driving them is. If this is the case, should they really be getting detentions at the same rate as the kids who do have control over the time they arrive at school?

Of course, if these frequent detentions are happening to the non-student drivers, it’s assumed that the family has to sort it out and figure how to solve the problem. But life happens, we don’t know everyone’s stories or home lives, and let’s face it, some of us have drivers who are willing to let their passengers be late every now and then if it means getting that ten extra minutes of sleep.

Because of the convoluted nature of the situation, I am by no means suggesting that we stop giving out detentions for chronic tardiness to non-student drivers altogether. But maybe faculty should be a little more lenient with them, since we can’t know for sure if it’s really their fault. My proposal is that instead of five tardies per quarter equaling a detention, maybe for the non-student drivers it’s seven. Not a huge gap, but still enough to make it a little easier on those who need it.